Re: C library

On 2002.06.11 14:16 Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

On 11-Jun-2002 Helgi Örn wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-06-11 at 19:42, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
>> > Wouldn't "C" be a more appropriate default locale for non-US
users?

>> sure, but you are assuming competency in coders (-:  C should work
by
>> default
>> without editing or enabling anything .
> Could you guys explain for a non-programmer what this is about?

the locale "C" is meant to be the default, it always works, safe
locale.  The
name "C" comes from the programming language C.  Basically the default
locale
should allow you to code a C app without causing issues when given to
someone
else (weird control chars in the comments, etc).

en_US is specifically English, United States.

My suspicion is one of two things, possibly linked is occuring.

1) Red Hat sets the locale to en_US by default now so it is always
enabled in
glibc even if you switch locales

As a benny, at least on Mandrake systems, the files necessary to support the en_US locale are not installed by default, so C apps run just fine but you get a warning about 'unrecognized locale' when running perl

2) there was a glibc change which made locale generating ugly unless
your
locale was set to something other than "C"

This is so broken, I don't even want to think about it...

Blessa,
Ian