Re: Compiled from source packages get overwritten

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 09:25:25AM -0500, Linux wrote:
| Hello All!
|
| When I compile a package from source using "apt-get --only-source -b source
| <package>", then intsall with "dpkg -i <package>", my local packages get
| overwritten the next time I perform an "apt-get upgrade".  What do I need
| to do to fix this?

You need to make apt think, one way or another, that the locally built
package is better than the new one from the repository.  The best way
to do this is

    echo "<package_name> hold" | dpkg --set-selections

-D

--

No harm befalls the righteous,
but the wicked have their fill of trouble.