Japanese under linux in general was [Re: Sylpheed not displaying...]

    Tatsuya> At Wed, 12 Jun 2002 00:18:58 +0900,
    Tatsuya> Artur Matos <amatos@create.human.nagoya-u.ac.jp> wrote:

    >> the LANGUAGE, LC_CTYPE and LC_ALL to ja_JP; it still doesn`t
    >> work, but it does show the following warning message in the
    >> prompt line: "Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C
    >> library". I think I have all the relevant locale packages
    >> installed.
    >>
    >> Does anyone knows what could be the problem?

    Tatsuya> It seems ja_JP locale was not configured.

    Tatsuya> Select `ja_JP.EUC-JP EUC-JP' with `dpkg-reconfigure
    Tatsuya> locales' as root.  See also the file `/etc/locale.gen'.

Does this work for most programs in general?

For example, Evolution doesn't display Japanese characters on my
system.  But I haven't fulled around with locales yet.  Does setting
locales change everything (error messages, etc.) to Japanese?

I work mostly in English, but it would be nice to have my address book
display my Japanese friends properly.  At the moment, everything
Japanese I do under Emacs.

Thanks for any suggestions and ideas.

Marshal