RE:Kernel upgrade docs

Andrew Perrin writes:
 > I seem to remember a good step-by-step guide to upgrading the kernel under
 > debian, but can't find it now. I'd like to move to 2.4.18 but am rather
 > timid about it.

Here's how I do it:
1. edit /etc/kernel-img.conf:
% echo "do_initrd = Yes" > blah
2. use dselect or apt-get to install the kernel-image-2.4.18-...
% apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-386
3. edit /etc/lilo.conf, or whatever you use, and have something like:
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-386
		label=newkernel
		read-only
		initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-386
Something like this may have been done automatically for you.
I actually use the 686 image this way, but it should work for 386.
4. run lilo
% /sbin/lilo

Just make sure you keep the old kernel around so you can boot to it if
something goes wrong.  A rescue CD is also handy.

Andrew.