Re: fsck bus error: 'attempt to access beyond end of device' during boot

On Sunday 09 June 2002 22:36, Joost van Baal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [Please Cc me on replies, I'm not subscribed.]
>
> The short summary:  When booting, my box gives up, stating:
>
>  NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0 for Linux NET4.0.
>  attempt to access beyond end of device
>  03:02: rw=0, want=1023464393, limit=48384
>  dev 03:02 blocksize=1024 blocknr= ....

OK, from what I saw in the kernel source (drivers/block/ll_rw_blk.c,
line 849):

/* This may well happen - the kernel calls bread()
   without checking the size of the device, e.g.,
   when mounting a device. */
printk(KERN_INFO
    "attempt to access beyond end of device\n");
printk(KERN_INFO "%s: rw=%d, want=%ld, limit=%d\n",
    kdevname(bh->b_rdev), rw,
    (sector + count)>>1, minorsize);

So it could be an error during mounting. Device 03:02 should be hda2,
your root partition. A failure to mount or properly recognize it would
also explain all further errors. That's about all I can tell right now,
but perhaps it helps in further troubleshooting. Anyone?

My shot in the dark: it could be a bad BIOS call that fails to return
the correct size of the disk or a bad <insert your choice>. Perhaps
post the complete lines that you abbreviated. The "want" number
indicates that there was a planned access somewhere after 976GB.

Perhaps also make sure you don't need an obscure kernel workaround for
some strange system component. The BIOSes used for P133 systems are...
we.. strange.

--
Embedded Linux -- True multitasking!
TWO TOASTS AT THE SAME TIME!