Re: HDD vs. RAID (was Re: Lilo Q)

hi ya

fun stuff.....  it depends ...

if you have a nearly full 80GB disks ... it wont matter
if you have 1x 80GB or 4x 20GB( stripping )

	- i rather worry about 1 large disk failure... than to worry about
	which of the 4 small disks gonna die ...  also makes 4x the mess
	in power and cables...etc..

if you use raid1 ( mirroring ) .... effective usage is 1/2 of the
total raw disk space
	- not useful if you're using 40gb of data on your 80gb disks

	- good option if you want to protect up to 40GB of data from
	disk crashes and want to stay online even if a single disk crashes

as was suggested earlier... use raid5 instead..
	if 4 disks raid5 ... if any one disk dies.. you can still recover
	( effective disk space is 60GB out of 80gb )

	if you add a 5th 20GB disks... you still have 80gb out of 100GB of
	total usable space.... still only protected against one disk
	failure

	but any of the 4 or 5 disks could die ... instead of one 80gb disk

== if read transfer speed is important.. use raid0 ( stripping ) over
   raid1 ( mirror )
	- you should be able to read data 2x as fast...
	but writing is a little slower...

best best...
	===
	=== backup data regularly to DIFFERENT systems ..
	===

c ya
alvin

-- original bios/disk question ...
	- most BIOS can and does support up to 130GB or so w/o any
	problems
		160GB ata 133 being the tricky disks to play with

	- most mb cannot boot from hde/hdf/hdg/hdh
		- so tell lilo to write mbr info to hda and
		that / is still /dev/hde ... works fine ...