fakeroot and lilo errors (was: Re: Installing packages as a non-root user)

On Sunday 09 June 2002 03:02 pm, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach JW <jw@centraltexasit.com> [2002.06.09.2155 +0200]:
> > domwoodyuser@cadmium:~$ apt-get install python2.2
>
> try:
>
>   fakeroot apt-get install python2.2

Thanks, that works great with a little PATH modification, which I needed to
do anyway.

Now the only thing is I get these weird lilo errors:

domwoodyuser@cadmium:~$ fakeroot apt-get install wget
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
  wget
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 9  not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/353kB of archives. After unpacking 1356kB will be used.
Selecting previously deselected package wget.
(Reading database ... 12137 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking wget (from .../archives/wget_1.8.2-3_i386.deb) ...
Setting up lilo (22.2-3.1) ...
ln: `/boot/boot.b': File exists
dpkg: error processing lilo (--configure):
Setting up wget (1.8.2-3) ...

 lilo
domwoodyuser@cadmium:~$

I'm not the least bit supprised that lilo fails (in fact I'm rather glad it
fails :-D ), because lilo can't  -- and shouldn't -- be run from the chroot
environment.

The question then is why is lilo being tweaked at all -- I haven't touched
it, and I don't see that python2.2 or wget have anything to do with lilo.
They are installed despite the errors, too.

Any idea how to make the lilo thing go away?

Thanks,

	JW