I did it.... and... I don't know how...

I had this image earlier today that if I actually figured out how to get
the darn 60g hd to boot up that I would come here to the lists and
newsgropus where I've been trying to get help and lay out what I did for
any future users of tpx4 mbs trying to install promise ultra cards...

little did I know that I somehow.... had already solved the problem...

I had decided to try one more piece of advice.... and in preparation I was
going to once more copy everything from the old hd to the new in case I'd
managed to pick up anything in the time since I'd last copied files
earlier this week.....

I checked /newroot   ... yep, empty, haven't mounted it yet... ok

I mount /dev/hde1 on /newroot and copy over the fstab and lilo.conf files
to temporary locations in / figuring that I'm going to wipe out /dev/hde1
and recopy everything over.... but I want to save the work I've been doing
on those two files...

I unmount /dev/hde1 from /newroot in preparation to reformat that
partition so I can recopy everything over...

I do mke2fs /dev/hde1

mke2fs 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
/dev/hde1 is mounted; will not make a filesystem here!

I'm scratching my head.... I do a df (checks disk free, also lists mounted
partions)

/dev/hde1              1441552   1122572    245752  83% /
/dev/hde9             17341684   1851088  14609684  12% /space
/dev/hde6               961352    121060    791456  14% /var
/dev/hde5              4806048    248096   4313816   6% /home

ooookay... um..... somehow this morning when I flipped my computer on,
bleeary-eyed.... ready to hunt for more solutions to this 'problem' (which
I did for about 4 hours today :) my computer somehow decided to do what
I've been trying to get it to do for a week.... boot off the 60g hd on the
promise ultra card.

last I knew my bios was still telling it to look at ide drives first....

I ... haven't got a floppy boot disk in the boot drive....

my old hd is still in the drawer....

I... have no idea how it happened....

Oh well :)

-Alice