Re: Newbie attempting to install Debian

On Fri, 07 Jun 2002, Rick wrote:

> The beginning of the installation went fine. I created my swap and boot
> partitions, and selected a file image for the kernel (selecting everything
> from the directory woody/main/disks-~1/current).

Hi, the first directory for the kernel images is
dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current (for woody i think the path should
be the same so replace potato -> woody). Here you find the kernel
images, the drivers and the base package (for potato it is base2_2.tgz.

> Trouble came at the step "Install base system." When it searched for a file it could use for the
> base, it gave the error "Couldn?t find any directory containing a file
> basedebs.tar or dists\woody\main\binary-i386\Release" I couldn't get beyond
> this point.

Here change the directory by typing
dists/potato(woody)/main/disks-i386/current

> I searched through the Dos partition I was installing from. It contained a
> file "dists\woody\main\binary-i386\Release". Is it possible this "file" is
> actually a soft link to a directory?

Search for /dists/woody/main/disks-i386 ... the binary directory
includes the packages ... the base system is in the disks-directory.

Oliver
--
... don't touch the bang-bang fruit