Re: SMP working

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 10:50:33AM -0400, Robert Webb wrote:
> I just loaded up Woody on a new machine that has two 500MHZ  Pentium III
> processors. I am trying to determine if the build I loaded is
> recognizing both processors. My problem is I have no clue as to where to
> check for this . I looked in the /proc directory and did a cat of cpu
> but it only showed one processor at 500MHZ.

Yeah, /proc/cpuinfo ought to show both processors. Also look at
/var/log/kern.log, see if it mentions more CPUs than "CPU#0". It should
write out a whole load of bumpf at the top for multi-proc systems.

It might be that the default install kernel doesn't suport SMP. Seems
sensible to me- iirc it can go quite badly wrong, and it's not much use for
installation... I notice that there are separate kernel-image-2.4.18-686 and
kernel-image-2.4.18-686-smp packages. Maybe install a kernel-image-*-686-smp
package?

SRH
--
Steve Haslam      Reading, UK                           araqnid@innocent.com