debconf broken

I had a potato box lying around that was running a reasonably old
revision of potato.  I powered it up, and went about upgrading it, first
to the latest potato, and then on to testing.

After apt-get upgrade to testing, things on the box were ok.  I then did
apt-get dist-upgrade to clean up the last few packages.  Sometime during
this, debconf got all screwed up.

I had debconf setup to use the Readline interface.  About halfway
through the dist-upgrade, error messages began appearing saying
"neither whiptail nor dialog installed; falling back to Readline", but
debconf would still work.

After the dist-upgrade finished, it left debconf utterly broken.  I
installed dialog and went to turn on the dialog interface with
"dpkg-reconfigure debconf".  debconf now just says:

Undefined subroutine &Getopt::Long::Configure called at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Config.pm line 73.

Any help?

Please CC me, since I do not subscribe.

Thanks,

Ross Vandegrift