Re: Linux and legacy-free motherboards

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 11:26:43AM +0200, Nicos Gollan wrote:
> On Thursday 06 June 2002 13:56, Joris Lambrecht wrote:
> > I've recently purchased a spanking Athlon motherboard (Abit AT7Max)
> > wich is to be installed with Linux, preferably Debian.
> >
> > Who can tell me if it's possible to install Debian on a system wich
> > can only handle usb keyboards/mouse from scratch. PS/2 devices are
> > not an option.
>
> Just came to my mind: most BIOSes tend to have a "Support legacy
> KB/Mouse" option somewhere. This emulates PS/2 devices on the USB bus
> and works quite nice. I don't know if the ABIT board has that option,
> but look for it.

/me missed the start of the thread, sorry...

My experience is that Debian works fine w/ USB keyboards from scratch- at
least the Woody installation. Although it doesn't seem to load the usb mouse
driver before trying to set up X.

Yes, the BIOS option to enable Boot Protocol mode will help too.  Although
with at least one USB keyboard I have, it is hideous to type with in BP
mode, perhaps due to lack of buffering?

SRH
--
Steve Haslam      http://www.arise.demon.co.uk/         araqnid@innocent.com