Re: Robocode Article in June LJ

On  0, David Raeker-Jordan <rkrjrdn@epix.net> wrote:
> In the June issue of Linux Journal, there is an article entitled
> "Programming Life" that discusses Robocode, "a programming environment where
> you can create Java robots that battle it out in an arena on your screen."
> The program uses the Java Developer's kit.
>
> Amoung the packages reported by "apt-cache search jdk," the following seem
> to be appropriate:
>

> jdk1.1 - JDK 1.1.x (Java Development Kit) - Runtime only
> jdk1.1-dev - JDK 1.1.x (Java Development Kit)
> jdk1.1-native - JDK 1.1.x Runtime - native threads extensions
> jdk1.1-native-dev - JDK 1.1.x - native threads extensions
>
> Can anyone tell me which package, if any, is correct? Or am I better off
> just installing the tar shell script from Sun?

You are probably going to need something more recent that 1.1.  I
think blackdown have .debs around - you need something like:

deb ftp://your.blackdown.mirror.here/pub/java-linux/debian testing non-free

in sources.list.

Personally I use the installer thinger from Sun and put it all in
/usr/local

Tom
--
Tom Cook

"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by candlelight."
	- George Gobol

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au