sound

I've got a rather long running problem that's rather generic to Linux.

Sound.

I can get sound to work, sort of.
It's very low volume, until I start up some kind of audio mixer or sound-level application - then the volume jumps from 20% to 75% without my doing anything more.

Is there some way that I can set the sound level without the need of launching an audio mixer everytime I start XFree86? And it drops down again when I quit XFree86 (I think).

I'm sure there's something that I need to run/configure -- but eludes me.
--
 21:45:01 up 23:34,  1 user,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00
Linux is the future...