Re: Forcing 9600 or less kbps on modem - URGENT HELP!

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, curtis wrote:

> What do I need to do in order to set up the modem on a dial-in server so
> that the maximum speed is no greater than 9600?
>
> I would have thought that the parameters in /etc/mgetty/mgetty.config
> would be sufficient (yes, I am using mgetty), but apparently not.
>
> Also, is there a way to set the connection preferenced to 8 data bits,
> no parity and stop bits: 1. But where?
>
> I'd really appreciate any help!!!
>
> Thanks
>
> Curtis

Do you want the modem side of this to go at 9600, or the data cable side
to be limited to 9600?

from at&$ on my courier modem.

&Nn   n=0  Highest Link Speed
   n=6  9600 bps

Could be similar on other modems, or at least doable.  I can also set the
minimum speed.  You could set this on your modem, and then write it to
memory, or just put it in your init string.

Now, this is the Modem to Modem speed, not the Computer to Modem Speed.
So you'll stil be able to take advantage of compression.

>From /etc/mgetty.config

# access the modem(s) with 38400 bps
speed 57600

does this not work?
I'm trying to remember how mgetty talks to modems, but it's been awhile.
I can't remember if the ppp options take effect or not.

Mike