Re: Debian: abandon ship?

Ivo Wever writes:
>Sam wrote:
>
>>And here's a third - http://www.vicnet.net.au/~rpds/
>>
>>There are 50 elderly/disabled people in the state of Victoria in Australia who
>>get their Internet access through a Debian box. All are members of the Rural
>I'm sorry, but this argument isn't valid as a defense for Debian in
>particular. You
>could use any other linux distro for this server; I'm certain you could

Ivo, you're totally missing the point here.  You can *not* use any Linux distro
on any server.  Red Hat, Mandrake, and Suse won't install on two of my servers,
which have 16 Meg ram.  Debian installed and configured with no problems.  Red
Hat is an absolute nightmare to administer.  I have 4+ years experience with Red
Hat, so don't tell me I'm wrong.  When as a newbie I went with Red Hat I gave up
my personal life. I spent all my free time babysitting the Red Hat servers.
Debian has easily installed on my servers, package upgrades are a snap - I'm not
constantly fighting the dependency problem! -big smile-

The only real weakness that Debian has is that it doesn't have Red Hat's
marketing.  But as a distribution, it's head and shoulders above the
competition.

And God bless those elderly folks who now have Internet access because of
Debian!

Glen