Re: Debian: abandon ship

Someone wrote:

> perhaps Debian is no longer useful to most of us.

Two years ago I set up a small network of Debian machines for graduate
students and faculty members in my department. There are six machines
in the network and a lot of people depend on them. This effort cost my
university exactly nothing.

Since then, these machines have *never* failed us. There was a point a
couple of months ago when I had a desperate email message from a group
of grad students saying that every single non-Debian machine in the
lab (Mac, Windows) was broken, and unusable to one degree or
another. But the Debian machines have never let us down. They have
never crashed, and they require virtually no maintenance.  One of them
runs woody; the rest run potato. I'll probably upgrade all of them to
woody over the summer.  However, this will be mostly for my own
satisfaction and amusement, since for their users it just doesn't
matter which version they run. The machines just do what needs to be
done, day after day, even though, as physical objects, they come from
the bottom of the heap---cheap antiques, most of them.

The graduate students and faculty members who use these machines day
in day out couldn't give a flying fuck, for the most part, whether
they run `stable', `testing', or `unstable'. They don't know, and they
have no reason to care, and they will never post to this list. They
have no reason to, because things just work.

>From this perspective, the idea that Debian might no longer be useful
seems just bonkers.

Jim