partition problem

Hello-
I am trying to use grub to boot my debian parition and it will not recognize
/vmlinuz . This partition is ext2 on partition 8. The funny thing is when i
did the install I did it on partition 12. I have a few other operating
systems on this machine and that is why I have so many paritions. I tried
mounting partiton 8 from redhat and all i get is a lost and found folder but
when i mount partiton 12 the debian partiton shows up. Another weird this is
when i try a fdisk -l I only see partitions hda1 through hda9.

here is my grub.conf for debian

title Debian 2.2R6
root (hd0,7)
kernel /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda8

can anyone tell me why my partitons are acting weird?
thanks,
brian