Re: How to install Debian from CD ROM

Ok. I am in the process of installing Woody myself. I see where you are talking about. You are at the point in which the kernel and modules are installed from the cd. Just before you get to the module config.

I have one question I can think of asking. That is when you boot the cd and you have the "boot:" prompt. Do you just press enter and install?? You my want to try typing in vanilla to get more modules loaded in case it is a hardware/driver issue. I had to do this because I am using an AMI Megaraid controller and just by pressing enter at the boot: prompt only installed the pci/ide modules.

Just a thought....

Jim Haag wrote:

No, actually, I am trying to install on a clean computer.  It's Intel x86
based.  In Bios, I have it set to boot from CD ROM.  It boots to CD and then
I get to try to install.  It allows me to Fdisk, which is where I create the
Linux partition, and the Linux swap partition.  After that it gets dicey.
Usually when I get to the part to install the kernel, it tells me it can't
mount the CD, sometimes it can't mount the floppy(even though, I am trying
the CD) and then sometimes it gets past there, and says it can't find
rescue.bin and drivers.tgz.
If I keep at it, it will sometimes even get past that point, but then it
hangs up saying there is a file error.  I've made 2 CDs downloaded from
different mirror sites.
I'm guessing both CDs are no good.

If you are trying to do the network install did you load the driver for
you NIC card?? And if you selected a NIC
driver did it actually load?

It sounds like Debian isn't recognizing your network...

Robert

Jim wrote:

I've downloaded the Debian CD a couple of times but can't install it on a
new system.  The system boots from the CD, and creates the proper
partions
(Linux and Linux swap), but then when its time to install the kernel, it
says it can't mount the CD.  What does this mean, and is there a way
around
it?