Re: Update - RE: rc.local in debian (was: Ip Masquerading)

"Ronald Castillo" <ronaldace2@cantv.net> writes:
> Just to update something new I have found out.. I tried pinging my ADSL
> router and my brother´s PC from my Linux box and it doesn't work either,
> but it did work from my Windows PC when I had it connected directly to
> my ADSL router. So, now I'm feeling pretty clueless... At least in all
> my PCs (incluiding the masqueraded one) internet works perfectly.
>
> Just in case you need it, here's a copy of my /etc/network/interfaces
> file:
>
> # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
>
> # The loopback interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
> installation
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> 	address 10.0.0.3
> 	netmask 255.0.0.0
> 	gateway 10.0.0.1
>
> iface eth1 inet static
>         address 10.0.0.4
>         network 10.0.0.0
>         netmask 255.0.0.0
>         broadcast 10.0.0.255
>
> Just to make a note, 10.0.0.1 is the IP of my ADSL router.

Are both Ethernet cards plugged into the same physical network?  (This
would be a little weird.)  If not, you get into the situation where
the router tries to contact the ADSL box, and discovers it has two
ways to get there (both interfaces are connected to 10.0.0.0/8), and
guesses wrong.

I suspect you probably want to reconfigure your ADSL box to be on some
different IP address (say, 192.168.0.1), and then put in
/etc/network/interfaces:

auto eth0 eth1
iface eth0 inet static
      address 192.168.0.2
      netmask 255.255.255.0
      broadcast 192.168.0.255
      gateway 192.168.0.1

iface eth1 inet static
      address 10.0.0.4
      netmask 255.0.0.0
      broadcast 10.255.255.255

This results in:

                         10.0.0.0/8 +--------+ 192.168.0.0/24
  To internal network  <------ eth1 | Router | eth0 ------> To ADSL box

(If you're unfamiliar, a.b.c.d/n is CIDR notation, meaning "a network
with network address a.b.c.d and the high n bits of the netmask set";
10.0.0.0/8 means "the network 10.x.x.x", 192.168.0.0/24 is "192.168.0.x".)

	-- Abra Mitchell