Including external modules in initrd

Greetings,

I'm building a beowulf whose nodes have Intel gigabit NICs, whose drivers are not in the stock kernel. So, I got the e1000 driver (and debianized it, but haven't ITPd or uploaded yet), and would like to use it for nfs-root.

The problem is, I can't get this module into the initrd. Is there a way to include such external modules in the initrd using make-kpkg? I can't find anything in the kernel-package docs.

Right now, I do:

fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd kernel-image

and then install the package on the head node and use mknbi to combine the kernel and initrd into one file which can be downloaded by etherboot. It boots just fine, but of course, with no e1000, there's no nfs over this card. I can also

fakeroot make-kpkg modules

to build the separate e1000 module .deb, but it doesn't get into the initrd, and can't get out to the nodes...

Any ideas?

TIA,
--

-Adam P.