Re: Debian: abandon ship?

>>"David" == David Wright <ichbin@shadlen.org> writes:

 >> It's not really at all clear that this was where the mistake lay.
 David> I never thought I would be advocating more management, but here goes...

 David> Debian, as another poster pointed out, has grown from ~50 to
 David> ~2000 developers. And those developers, being "geeks" rather
 David> than "suits", respond to problems by working harder on their
 David> jobs (as I believe Collin pointed out), rather than by
 David> strategic re-alignments. Other engineer-centered organizations
 David> (HP and Boeing are famous examples) have run into this problem
 David> before.

	Do you have any data for this, or are you just making things
 up? The new pool system is not a reorg? The buildd and rbuilder? the
 automated BTS tracking tools? Do you actually know what is being done
 internally to deal with the issues?

 David> I haven't experienced first-hand the styles of the previous
 David> and current RMs, but at least looking from the outside, it
 David> would seem that the current RM has been much more effective
 David> (aside from failing to take into account the security
 David> infrastructure problems) than the previous one in driving
 David> woody to release. This would seem to indicate that management
 David> can make a difference.

	Perhaps the new pools and testing mechanism has something to
 do with this, hmm?

 David> What about increasing the "management overhead" for Debian?
 David> Instead of just having DPL and RM, the RM could be given some
 David> minions, there could be PMs for different areas, etc. They
 David> would make tactical and strategic decisions regarding
 David> releases, and advertise needs as they arise.

	We have the boot floppy team, the debian web pages team, the
 perl team, java people, the policy group, the debian cd people, the
 new maintainer people, the press release folks, the security team,
 the admin folks, the list masters, the ftp archive folks, the
 project secretary, the ..

	All with team leaders and delegates of the DPL.

	Have you even looked before you start coming in firing off
 proposals without even knowing what the problems are?

 David> There, the idea is out there; wail away at it.

	Yes. Random ideas, fired off with no concept of problem
 details, no idea of the culture, and no work done researching
 anything. Guess how much this is worth?

	manoj
--
 Instead of whining to the net about it, why don't you talk to the
 news admins at Berkeley?  If they won't trash sci.skeptic there, pass