Re: location of Maildir - /var/mail or ~/Maildir?

On Sat, 2002-06-01 at 00:06, dman wrote:
> On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 02:06:25PM -0500, Roach, Mark R. wrote:
> | I know this might be a religious matter, but is there a good reason for
> | maildirs to go in ~/Maildir?
>
> DJB thinks that is the only way.

hmm, I wonder what the reasoning is behind this. There are of course
many ways to do things and all of them are Morally Wrong in someone's
eyes :)

> | This seems to be the only way courier will
> | handle things,
>
> Yeah, unfortunately.  You could either recompile it with a different
> setting, hack up the startup script to pick somewhere else to root the
> search, or use a symlink named ~/Maildir to point the the real
> location.

Thanks, this is what I did and it seems to be ok. ~/Maildir now points
to /var/mail/username

> | but I would like to be able to mount /var/mail from my
> | mail server on my other systems so I can read mail without imap being
> | involved (grep'ing, etc).
>
> Nice idea.
>
> | I see that with authuserdb, I can specify /var/mail for the Maildir, but
> | I would prefer to not have to keep a separate password database just for
> | imap. (I am currently using pam to authenticate against my ldap
> | directory).
>
> Hmm, is authuserdb a separate db or can it plug into LDAP?  IIRC
> courier can authenticate against LDAP.

Yes, courier can authenticate against LDAP directly, but that requires a
courier-specific schema which I don't feel like implementing for the
same reason as the authuserdb, my solution turned out to be ldap via pam
via the courier-authdaemon + the symlink you suggested above.

> | Does anyone have any suggestions on what "the one right way" to do
> | things is? should all mail be accessed via imap, should the mail server
> | mount the users' home directories, or some other, better option that I
> | am too dense to think of :) ?
>
> The Right Way is for the imap server to be as flexible as the MTA is.
> Unfortunately neither courier nor uw-imap are that flexible.
> (Actually, I think uw is, but it's compile-time config).

As I am using it, I am becoming more of the opinion that the imap server
does just about everything I need. grep may not be an option, but mutt
makes a fine imap client from the command line

> (I haven't actually solved the imap problem myself, and have postponed
> it because I don't have any users using it)

out of curiosity, do your users have mail delivered directly to their
boxes or do they mount their home dirs from the mail server?

Thanks,

Mark