Re: Server won't reboot automatically after "init 6".

This one time, at band camp, Simon Tneoh Chee-Boon said:
> Hello all,
>     Thanks in advance for any help provided.
>     I installed a Debian Linux 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 on a HP NetServer LC 3
> machine.
>     Whenever I run "init 6" to restart the server, I can see the server
> shutting down
> and try to reboot. The message "Restarting system." is displayed. But
> the problem
> is the machine never rebooted, it just hang there, no activities at all.
> I have to press
> the power button to switch off and on again.
>      The last task system trying to do:
>
> Shutting down I20 System
>       This could take a few minutes if there are many devices attached
>       I20 System down.
> Restarting system.
>
>    Do I need to configure anything in the BIOS or any device? I called
> HP's customer
> service, they said they can't help on this, ask me to check on
> discussion group.
>     Below I append the messages in the /var/log/syslog file.
>     Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Simon.
Try compiling apm as a module - it's what many people had to do as to
make reboots and shutdowns work properly with 2.4 series kernels.  Don't
quite know why, though.
> Jun  5 04:04:26 perdana kernel: Initializing RT netlink socket
This is where apm should be started - since it's not, it's either not
compiled or loaded.
> Jun  5 04:04:26 perdana kernel: Starting kswapd

HTH,
Steve

p.s. - dumping debian-devel, as it's not really the place for this.
--
He who hesitates is sometimes saved.