fatal error: writefb: virtual res doesn't equal physical res

This is the error dvifb gives me. Here's what fbset says:

mode "1024x768-76"
    # D: 78.653 MHz, H: 59.949 kHz, V: 75.694 Hz
    geometry 1024 768 1024 4096 8
    timings 12714 128 32 16 4 128 4
    rgba 6/0,6/0,6/0,0/0
endmode

What does it mean? If I try to change it, the console gets messed
up, with half of it appearing at the bottom etc. I've tried it with
"fbset -g 1024 768 1024 768 8".

My boot parameters are "vga=0x305 video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr". If I leave
out "ywrap", it's fine, but too slow.

Any ideas? Is the vesafb any different with kernels other than
2.4.16? I've got an ati all-in-wonder which seemed to work only with
vesa.

Thanks,
andrej

--