advansys scsi controller

Hello-
I am having problems with my advansys scsi controller on boot. What happens
is it goes through and looks for devices on each of the 7 scsi chains 2
times each. I don't know if it is the wrong driver that is loading or what.
I thought i could pass in a kernel command on boot.
boot: advansys io=4C00
That didn't do anything either. Is there a way to have debian not look for
this device. I really don't care if it works or not with debian. Or, if is
possible is there a way to get it working properly.
thanks for any advice,
brian