Re: Beginning to try to secure my box.

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 12:06, arthur_dent wrote:
> I am trying to begin to secure my P.C.. It's only a home computer but may
> hopefully later be linked to a second pc via 10/100 nics.

That's allways a good thing :)

> is "portmap". I notice this is enabled by default (I think) on Woody. Can I
> safely uninstall this service/program without affecting my p.c.?
> Also they recomend disabling nfs...I have "nfs-common" and nfs-kernel-server"
> installed. Can I safely disable these too? I dont require them for apt-get

You can safely remove the portmapper and nfs. These are all only needed
for NFS (and rpc, which is used (omong other things) by nfs).

You can just add "exit 0" to the beginning of the /etc/init.d/portmap
and nfs-* files to disable them. (Or remove relevant packages)

Also check your /etc/inetd.conf

Most services here can be turned off.

--
Mark Janssen -- maniac(at)maniac.nl -- GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ SyConOS IT