Re: Missing (kernel) modules

on Wed, Jun 05, 2002, Glen Lee Edwards (glen@fcwm.org) wrote:
> I have Woody installed with the 2.2-20 kernel.  I apt-get installed the
> 2.4.18 kernel for both k7 and i686.  Both installed ok, but both hung on
> boot, stating that the root file system couldn't be mounted.  As an
> experiment, I downloaded the latest stable kernel from kernel.org and
> compiled it.  It compiled and installed fine, and boots fine, except
> that it's missing many of the modules I need, including all of the
> network modules I need for my nics.  I've gone completely through the
> kernel configuration several times.  They just aren't there.  But
> they're included in all the dpkgs I've installed.  What am I missing?
> Is there another source for modules other than the kernel tar ball?

I suspect that it's not a module problem per se but rather the fact that
the pre-built kernels use an initial ramdisk (initrd) and you haven't
added an "initrd=/initrd.img" parameter to the appropriate line in
lilo.conf.

IIRC you need to put this parameter on the "image" line like so:

image=/vmlinuz initrd=/initrd.img

Of course, I reserve the right to be wrong but this is what fixed a
similar error for me.

Take care,

Peter.

--