Re: Mgetty - Dial-in Server ---- HELP PLEASE!

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 03:56:31PM -0700, curtis wrote:
>  Anyone got any clues on this?
>
> I really need some help????????
>
> Debian 3.0
> Kernel 2.4.18
> mgetty 1.1.27-4.1
>
> Trying to set up a dial-in server.  I made the following changes:
>
> Modem is installed on /dev/ttyS0
>
> /etc/initab
>    S0:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty ttyS0 -D /dev/ttyS0
>
> /etc/ppp/options.server
>    auth -chap +pap
>    modem
>    crtscts
>    login
>    netmask 255.255.255.0
>    proxyarp
>    lock
>    -detach
>    ms-dns xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>
> /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
>     * * "" *
>
> /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0
>    10.0.0.10:10.0.0.16
>    (Server IP Address:Port IP Address)
>
> /etc/mgetty/login.config
>    /AutoPPP/ - - /usr/sbin/pppd file /etc/ppp/options.server
>

> Regardless, no user on the server can connect.  I have discovered that
> it never gets to the point of authorization.

How? The contents of the relevant log file /var/log/mgetty/mg_ttyS0.log
should give a clue. (Apologies if you have looked already)

Authorisation should be done by pppd in your case (I assume that you
don't want people to use mgetty's login prompt). Does mgetty recognise
dial-in attempts as PPP connections?

If it does, then you should be able to get more clues by adding
    debug
to /etc/ppp/options.server and study /var/log/syslog (depending on your
syslogd config). The pppd debug should tell you what is going on.

> Could the problem have to do with permissions to the port?

Probably not, as mgetty will run as root...

> Maybe mgetty can't assign it an IP due to permissions?

Long answer: IP addresses are assigned by pppd; mgetty merely answers
the phone and starts up pppd. Besides, the TCP/IP layer of the
connection will only be brought up once the two sides have successfully
authenticated each other. If things go wrong before authentification,
then IP addresses are irrelevant.

Short answer: No.

--
Karl E. Jørgensen