Is esound broken on Sid?

I am trying to get esound running with GNOME on Sid, but am getting the
following when I run esd:

--- cut here ---

Couldn't open any alsa card! Last card tried was 0
Error opening card 0: Sound protocol is not compatible
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 16bit failed
Trying 44.1Khz, 8bit stereo.
Couldn't open any alsa card! Last card tried was 0
Error opening card 0: Sound protocol is not compatible
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 48Khz, 16bit stereo.
Couldn't open any alsa card! Last card tried was 0
Error opening card 0: Sound protocol is not compatible
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 22.05Khz, 8bit stereo.
Couldn't open any alsa card! Last card tried was 0
Error opening card 0: Sound protocol is not compatible
Audio device open for 22.05Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 44.1Khz, 16bit mono.
Couldn't open any alsa card! Last card tried was 0
Error opening card 0: Sound protocol is not compatible
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 22.05Khz, 8bit mono.
Couldn't open any alsa card! Last card tried was 0
Error opening card 0: Sound protocol is not compatible
Audio device open for 22.05Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 11.025Khz, 8bit stereo.
Couldn't open any alsa card! Last card tried was 0
Error opening card 0: Sound protocol is not compatible
Audio device open for 11.025Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 11.025Khz, 8bit mono.
Couldn't open any alsa card! Last card tried was 0
Error opening card 0: Sound protocol is not compatible
Audio device open for 11.025Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 8.192Khz, 8bit mono.
Couldn't open any alsa card! Last card tried was 0
Error opening card 0: Sound protocol is not compatible
Audio device open for 8.192Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 8Khz, 8bit mono.
Couldn't open any alsa card! Last card tried was 0
Error opening card 0: Sound protocol is not compatible
Sound device inadequate for Esound. Fatal.

--- cut here ---

The sound card (Hercules Fortissimo II using cs46xx driver) is
configured in alsa.  alsaplay works perfectly as does alsamixer and I
can use the card in OSS compatibility mode.  I think it's setup
correctly based on these points.

I have not seen any complaints about esound not working, so I am unsure
if something is misconfigured on my side.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.