Re: mplayer (making it deb)

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 04:13:01AM +1200, James Hook wrote:
> > The mplayer people objected to distributions including it for various
> > reasons, and there were legal problems. These may be resolved now, but
>
> The mplayer docs I have here say that there is non-GPL code which can only
> be distrubited in source form only. They also talk about being different
> for each CPU type, hence compiling from source is the 'best' option.

That has changed.
The mplayer website now claims mplayer is entirely GPL (they had to
drop part of the code and rewrite it).
Also, they have been working on CPU type detection at runtime (not
perfect, but will get better).

> In this case I have seen packages that require a download to work, and
> packages that download the source code (eg. Pine) and the user must
> compile, has anybody investigated into if they could supply a source
> package version for Debian?

There used to be a pine source package, but it was dropped, IIRC. I
don't remember why.

Personally, I think it'd be nice if APT had a fallback when you say
"apt-get install" (if it's a source-dist-only, get the sources, compile
it and install) -- with the same command used if it was a binary
package. I'll think more about htis, and if it makes sense, I'll file a
bug against apt.

J.