Re: [SOLVED!] Re: lost route (network unreachable)

Andy Saxena <andyML@nyc.rr.com> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 09:42:54AM -0500, DvB wrote:
> > Michel Verdier <mverdier@thalix.com> writes:

> > > Did you indicate interface name like this :
> > >
> > > route add -host hostname.mydomain.com eth0
> >

> > That was it. Thanks!
> >
> > Thanks also to Andy for trying.
> >

> Next time I start with basics! And you thought too much knowledge isn't
> a dangerous thing :-}.
>
> You are welcome. Hope you learned something anyway.

Heh :-) That was a big duh on my part. I should've more closely RTFM.

I'm still a little confused though... how are the kernel's routing
tables set up in the first place? Are they set up when the OS is
installed and the user specifies an IP address and then not changed
unless the user explicitly requests it? Any references I can use to read
up on this?

Thanks again.