Re: [release+kernel] upgrade headache

On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 03:19:08AM +0100, Tom Barnes-Lawrence wrote:
[snip]
> After about a page of the kernel bootup messages, I got:
>
> request_module[block-major-8]:Root fs not mounted
> VFS: Cannot open root device "801" or 08:01

If you are using a debian stock kernel, try adding the module for your
scsi card, scsi_mod, sg, etc. to /etc/modules. Check /boot/config-2.2.x
to see which modules were compiled into your previous kernel.

Alternative: install the 2.4 kernel source deb and compile in support
for your scsi card. If you compile your own kernel, you don't need to
use initrd.

[snip]
> I was truly fuming *then* because there hadn't been the
> slightest indication that I could see that the kernel package I
> chose would *not* support booting from SCSI, like my old kernel
> packages were able to do.

2.4 stock kernels are highly modularized. Modules that were compiled
into the 2.2 kernels now have to be loaded--hence the initrd.

[snip]
> -(1) The package (or *one* package) should have been set up to be
> able to boot properly without user intervention;
> -(2) The mkinitrd docs seem hard to follow;
> -(3) Having used mkinitrd several times, trying various things with
> its config files, I *still* cannot get an initrd image that will
> get the kernel to boot. It does appear that the advansys.o,
> scsi_mod.o, sd_mod.o, ext2.o files *are* already in the image- but
> the kernel doesn't seem interested in loading them.
The kernel installation scripts should create the initrd image you
need, However, you will need to tell the kernel what modules need to be
loaded.

[snip]

HTH
--