Re: Kills Linux hdd's?

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 04:54:01PM -0700, ben wrote:
> On Friday 31 December 1999 04:03 pm, Frank Brodbeck wrote:
> > Hello everybody.
> > I'm having over here great trouble. The following is my cruel fate:
> >
> > Everything started a good year ago. It was ca. the start-up of my
> > 'Linux-at-home career' and also the first time, one of my harddrives
> > died a - to me - mysterious death. At this time I often switched from
> > linux to Windows and vice versa. More about the 'mysterious death' of
> > my harddrive. It was a Quantum Fireball with about 14 GByte of capacity
> > and a slot A AMD Athlon on a Epox EP-7KXA Mainboard. All worked pretty
> > fine and then suddenly I heard this strange sound from my harddrive.
> > It twanged like the read/write header of the hdd would somehow hang.
> > First of all, the system just froze for several seconds but after
> > short time the system started to freeze completely after such events and
> > also the frequency of these sounds increased rapidly. For then I just
> > believed the onboard IDE Controller of my motherboard would be
> > damaged. So a new mainboard came and also a new cpu. I changed to an

What about a new power supply?
And new internal interconnect cables (power and signal)?

That any software could actually cause the destruction of hardware is an
indication of rather bad hardware design, IMHO.

Well yes, multisync monitors can be over driven, but IMHO this is evidence
that they are badly designed.

> > Asus A7V-E with a AMD Duron upon it. The harddisk was a Western Digital
> > with 20 GByte capacity. I began to increase my work on linux - mainly
> > struggling with getting the system configured :) - and let me say, about
> > almost half a year again this strange sound came from my beloved WD hdd.
> > Concerned about this new shocking event I went to my retailer to make
> > use of my warranty. Now I got this new hdd. A WD 40GByte diskspace. She
> > lasted from October last year till a few days ago. She still is at work
> > but only because there is no working hdd around and I am not willed
> > to buy any new until I know where damages came from. Oh, I forgot,
> > due to power blackout - a worker drilled right through the power cable -
> > my AMD Duron died and I'm having a new system since three weeks now.
> > It's a dual Intel Celeron 533 installed on a Abit BP6 Board.
> > Rememberring, that I had lost documents of a high priority for me on
> > my first hdd that gave this horrible concert I tried to rescue some
> > data. Well, I wasn't able to rescue the important stuff but at least
> > some personal data. Since the day I attached this old hdd to my system my
> > WD 40 GByte sings the song of destruction. You know what I mean, this
> > strange sound that twangs like a read/write header of a harddisks got
> > stuck. Friends of mine, interested in hardware but not all really
> > familiar with the stuff and also Microsoftlovers keep on telling me
> > 'Linux is the source of all evil'.
> >
> > I'm pretty unused to make real analyzes and so I hope that someone
> > could tell me how to find the source that leads to those hdd damages.
> > Could it be a unlucky hardware setting of mine?
> >

> hi frank, first off, you need new friends. second, either your mail--dated
> dec 31, 1999--mysteriously took two and a half years to get to the list or
> you need to replace that little lithium battery on the motherboard. third, on
> the issue of your history of damaged hardware, given that so many variations
> are involved, i'm wondering if the physical location of your different
> systems has always been the same. is their anything close by that gives off
> electromagnetic interference? is their a kid in the house who might be
> sticking pennies in the cd slot? a crack in your favorite coffee mug that
> sits on top of the box? as far as linux being responsible, i really can't
> imagine how it could be.
>
> ben
>

> --

Paul E Condon