Q:messed up package database?

On several machines I am running unstable. From time to time I install
new packages on those machines by:

apt-get update; apt-get install xxx

But instead of installing xxx, apt-get tells me to run

apt-get -f install

first. But this advise doesn't help me very much, because then I get
unmet dependencies, for example:

gtkhtml: Conflicts: libgtkhtml7 (<= 0.8.2-1) but it is not installable
yyy: ....

Then, the next thing I do, is to remove those packages and try again:

dpkg -r gtkhtml yyy; apt-get -f install

Sometimes this helps, othertimes I get new unmet dependencies, which
are to my eyes completely unrelated to the removed packages. Therefore
I iterate the process until it hopfully converges. But this was a hope
only, which I lost after iterating for 7 or more times.

If you know any solutions or suggestions, please let me know.

Olaf
I Dipl. Phys. Olaf Rogalsky                 Institut f. Theo. Physik I I
I Tel.: 09131 8528440                       Univ. Erlangen-Nuernberg   I
I Fax.: 09131 8528444                       Staudtstrasse 7 B3         I
I rogalsky@theorie1.physik.uni-erlangen.de  D-91058 Erlangen           I