apt/dpkg + /var/lib/dpkg/status problems

Getting trouble using apt-cache, apt-get today.

apt-get update works ok.

running sid, last upgraded a few days ago.

root@didge:/home/ben# apt-get install foo
Reading Package Lists... Error!
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Error occured while processing python2.1-examples (NewFileVer1)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

root@didge:/home/ben# apt-cache search foo
Segmentation fault

Have tried re-installing the apt and dpkg packages downloaded from packages.debian.org

root@didge:~# dpkg -l apt dpkg
ii  apt                  0.5.4                Advanced front-end for dpkg
ii  dpkg                 1.9.21               Package maintenance system for Debian

Anyone with any ideas how I can sort this out?

Any other information I can provide that may help resolve this problem?

Thanks

Ben