Re: ORBit help

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 01:56:20AM -0700, David Wright wrote:

| Help! I am desperately trying to learn to use the ORBit implementation
| of CORBA and getting nowhere fast. The only beginners tutorial I can
| find is at http://icps.u-strasbg.fr/~genaud/ORBIT/. It's okay, but the
| ftp site from which to download its examples seems to be down, and I
| can't figure out how to compile the example without a makefile. I don't
| know what needs to get linked to what, how to generate an ior, etc.
|
| Is anyone out there proficient in ORBit? Could you please help me get on
| my feet? I just need a "hello world" client/server with a makefile (or
| explicit instructions on how to compile). I would most like to use pure
| ORBit, without gnome and bonobo.

CORBA is far from trivial.  I presume you're already a proficient
programmer (or something like that).

I've never tried doing CORBA in C, but I've done it in Python and
Java.  (java is a PITA -- it's type system is way to restrictive and
doesn't fit well)  For getting an initial handle on CORBA and ORBit, I
recommend leaving the low-level details of C behind.  Install the
'python-orbit' package to get python bindings to it.  It comes with an
sample "echo" client/server implementation that works out-of-the-box.
It's only about 50 LOC total, if that.  You could also use 'ldd' on
it's binaries to figure out what to link in to your C program.

HTH,
-D

--

He who belongs to God hears what God says.  The reason you do not hear
is that you do not belong to God.