How to set 800x600 X?

How do you set the X server to 800x600 from a program or script?
How do you detect on a woody system whether X is 3.3 or 4.1?

G'day,

I'm setting up for an outback lan party, and since I'm using some old
equipment I'd like every one of the 12 Debian boxes to run an X server
at 800x600.

While I can probably write something that will take the XF86Config file,
remove the higher resolutions, and then start the X server ... surely
there is a better way?

# X -xf86config something :1 vt08

Can the X server once running be instructed to switch to 800x600?  I
know the Control/Alt/+ and Control/Alt/- keys do that, but I want to do
it under program control.  I'd also need to be able to change the offset
to the virtual screen; which happens when you move the cursor to the
edge of screen when the virtual resolution is larger than the display
resolution.

Also, some of the boxes have Trio64 cards, which are supported on 4.2,
not 4.1, and so I have to use 3.3.  Without starting the X server, how
can I tell on a specific Debian box which version will be started?
Checking 'dpkg --list' hasn't helped ... sometimes both xserver-s3 and
xserver-xfree86 are installed.

--
James Cameron                                     (james.cameron@hp.com)

http://quozl.linux.org.au/         (or)         http://quozl.netrek.org/