RE: what causes this error [solved. thanks mysql list]

This was the error for the record.  Thanks debian list.  justin

Okay, now the problem is clear. mysqladmin 3.23.37 uses backticks (`)
around the database names (as you can see in the error message you
quoted) to support special chars therein, but backticks for quoting
column/table/database names where only intrudcued in 3.23.6, so the
3.22.32 server doesn't know about them and issues an syntax error.

AFAICS, you have the following options:

- type the commands yourself and don't use backticks (i.e. use the
  mysql client and issue a "CREATE DATABASE test2")

- upgrade the server to at least 3.23.6 (of course you would want a
  more recent release)

- downgrade the mysqladmin client to the distribution of at most
  3.23.5 (of course, you would rather want the latest 3.22.x client)

- compile mysqladmin yourself and change the CREATE DATABASE statement
  accordingly