Re: Man page output

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 07:53:53PM -0400, Robert_L wrote:
> On Thursday 30 May 06:55, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
> > Is there an easy way to output man pages without all of the underlined
> > text? I want to redirect man page output to text type files, but all
> > of the files include squares or ^H^H^H all over the place...
>
> man ls | col -b >ls.txt

You might also want to use the -7 option to get rid of Latin-1
characters for things like continuation hyphens, depending on exactly
what kind of output you want.

Advance notice: groff will soon (version 1.18) start generating ANSI
escapes rather than the ^H characters of yore to do bold and underlining
and the like. I understand setting the GROFF_NO_SGR environment
variable, or using 'groff -c', will disable this.