Re: free86server

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 11:31:41AM -0300, Klaus Imgrund wrote:
> I just started fooling around with debian. The part that gives me more
> trouble than usual is the setup of the xserver.

You're not the only one to have problems with the xserver.

> I upgraded from xfree3.3.6 to 4.1.0 but I am getting the same problems.
> The mouse doesn't work at all (flickers around) with xf86config. With

Is gpm running? There have been some problems with the mouse in X when
gpm is running.

> debconfig it kind of works. But for that I get problems with the screen.
> At the mousepointer there are horizontal lines showing up on occasion -
> about every 10 secs. And after about 15 min the whole xscreen is
> crapping out - no more mouse keyboard or anything.
> I did configure the xserver the same way as in other distros but that
> doesn't help a bit.

What is that way? xf86config? Manual entry into the config file?

> I did have it working ok with kernel 2.2.19 and upgraded to 2.4.18
> because I had a problem with the sound.
> When I booted into the new kernel all I did get as a screen was some
> colorful lines. Started to reconfigure x and got stuck with the problems
> above - the horizontal lines are new.

Sounds a little familiar. Are the values in /etc/X11/XF86Config valid
for your hardware?

> I did use kernel 2.2.19 and 2.4.18 with xfree 3.3.6 and 4.2.0 before and
> it worked just fine.
> Anybody has an idea what I am missing here?

What does /var/log/XFree86.0.log say? It might just have some hints as
to the problem's cause.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com