PHP4 setup problems

I've been trying to setup PHP4 on my Woody box at home. I've installed the php4
package, and then went through the apache config and uncommented the php shared
object libraries and added the .php document handler. I stopped and then
started apache to make sure I've got the .so's loaded.

However when I try to go to the test script I wrote, it comes up with a "500
error message". Looking in the error log I notice this:

(8)Exec format error: exec of /usr/lib/cgi-bin/hello.php failed

What is an Exec Format error?

I've tried running the script from the command line:

mypc $ php4 /usr/lib/cgi-bin/hello.php

<head>
<title>PHP Test</title>
</head>
Hello World<p></body>

So I don't believe it to be the script - it's a very simple one I got from the
php tutorial. I'm sure it's the php setup within Apache, but everything there
seems to be OK.

Any suggestions, please let me know.

Andrew

"I do not agree with what you say,
but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Francois Marie Arouet Voltaire (1694-1778)