Re: problem with sound...

alo@purdue.edu wrote:

Here's what is says for my sound card:

Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 AC97 Audio
Controller (rev 40)
	Subsystem: Gateway 2000: Unknown device 1200
	Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 10
	I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
	I/O ports at e100 [size=4]
	I/O ports at e104 [size=4]
	Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

I tried enabling the Via chipset in my kernel, but so far I've been
unsucessful...if there anything else I need to do?

Alex Lo
I'm sending this to the list instead of to Alex, for three reasons:
1) It'll be archived for future reference.
2) Others on the list may (or may not) benefit from the dialog.
3) Others on the list may have better/additional information than I provide. If there's some reason you (Alex) don't want this discussion in public, let me know.

It sounds like you're compiling your own kernel. I'm not sure what kernel version you're using, but if it's 2.4.18 (or around that one), you need to go into the Sound option and enable the "VIA82C686 Audio Codec". If this is what you meant in your post above, did you enable it as a module or as built-in? If as a module, what does "lsmod" show?

I could never get a VIA VT8233 AC97 sound system working using the kernel sources alone, and had to resort to using Also. If you want to got that route you can install the Alsa source with "apt-get install alsa-source". IIRC, it should put a .tar (or .tgz or .bz2) file in /usr/src. Unzip/tar it, and then look in the /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver directory. Read INSTALL. There's about 7 steps in the "Quick Install" section. If you run into difficulties at that point, holler again.

Kent