Re: Installing advanced library versions safely?

Thanks for the reply! Still a few questions, though, after trying some of this...

dman wrote:
On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 04:33:58PM -0400, Dan Muller wrote:
The mail->news gateway is one-way.  The news server might (I don't
know) get 2 copies, but not the mailing list.

Thanks, I didn't know that. Might have waited a long time. :-)

... Go for it! Some of the docs on subversion make it sound really nice,
but I'm waiting for it to be stable.

I was too, but I got impatient...

First, run this with your sources.list pointing at potato.  It will
ensure that you have all the build tools and any other build
dependencies for building (potato's version of) libxml1.

    # apt-get build-deps libxml1

apt-get doesn't appear to understand 'build-deps'. Are you sure this functionality exists in potato? In any case, I already have libxml1 installed, and I'm not sure I really need the ability to build it.

Then point apt at woody, and run this :
    # apt-get update
    # apt-get install apt dpkg perl apt-utils  fakeroot  # explaination below
    # apt-get source libxml1

The apt-get command wants to upgrade 41 packages, install 19 new ones, and remove 74 -- getting a total of 27.1MB of archives. This is not quite what I expected!? Did I do something wrong? By "point apt at woody", I assumed you meant *just* at woody, not *also* at potato. That's what I tried, anyway (after saving a copy of /var/lib/dpkg/status, having learned a lesson yesterday).

The new apt sounds excellent, I look forward to (somehow) getting it installed here!