Running UAE?

I've installed UAE 0.8.20 on my Pentium-3/933MHz machine (P3V4X motherboard,
not that I /think/ it would matter) running Debian/testing.  I just can't
seem to get the program to run in any meaningful way:

  ~$ uae
  Testing the RDTSC instruction ... done.
  Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 935.98 BogoMIPS

...then nothing.

  ~$ uae -r kick/kick31.rom
  Testing the RDTSC instruction ... done.
  Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 935.16 BogoMIPS

...then nothing.

  ~$ uae -r kick/kick20.rom
  Testing the RDTSC instruction ... done.
  Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 935.71 BogoMIPS

...then nothing.

  ~$ uae -r kick/madeupname
  Testing the RDTSC instruction ... done.
  Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 934.60 BogoMIPS

Still nada.  I tried making a .uaerc as per the docs in /usr/share/doc/uae.
I tried deleting .uaerc to see if that made a difference.  `uae -h' returns
instantly and silently.  Since there's no output to speak of, I can't even
begin to troubleshoot the problem.  Any ideas on where I can start?
--
Kirk Strauser
The Strauser Group - http://www.strausergroup.com/