Re: PST to mutt

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 02:59:27AM -0400, steev wrote:
| On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 11:33:13PM -0700, Jeff wrote:
| <snip>
| > I think you're in for a load of work on this task.  An idea I have is
| > if you have an IMAP server available that you can move all the mail
| > onto with the Windows mail client, you could then access the IMAP
| > folders with Mutt or fetchmail and pull them into your mbox/maildir
| > folders.
|
| so, uhh, how do i setup an IMAP server?

# apt-get install courier-imap

Or choose a different one if you prefer, courier-imap used the
maildir format (which I recommend) and defaults to storing all folders
in ~/Maildir (like qmail does).

| and won't the mails show up as from me?

No.  Try copying a message from one folder to another now.  That's a
different operation from sending a message.

| the thing i'm thinking *might* work would be to export the mails,
| but then it will be a matter of importing the mails into the
| folders, as some of the mails are from mailing lists that i am still
| on, from before i started using linux, but continue to receive these
| mailing lists...

If you can get the folders into a standard (non-proprietary) format
then the rest is a piece of cake.  Almost all UNIX mail clients use
one or more of the standard formats rather than invent their own
(incompatible) proprietary format.

| I believe that Outlook offers the ability to export to text, but uhh,
| i'm not sure how well it would work, since, well, last time i checked my
| outlook's .pst file, it was around 250MB... so perhaps I should just
| forget about keepin those emails...

Try it anyways.  What does the export file look like?  Is it mbox?  If
it is then you're all set.  Performance of a 250MB mbox folder will
really suck, but once you've got an mbox there are tools you can use
to split it up in various ways.

HTH,
-D

--

Microsoft DNS service terminates abnormally when it receives a response
to a dns query that was never made.