Fonts using various screen resolutions

Hi,

I have been doing a lot of reading on de-uglifying fonts on X. I have installed truetype fonts, worked on xfs, tried different configurations in my applications.

In the end it worked quite well, but nowhere near to what I was used to on that Other System. I was running 1280x1024 on my 19 inch monitor. Just for the heck of it I tried 1600x1200. Automagically all my fonts are
now perfect. In fact browsing looks at least as good as IE/Mozilla on Win.

The refresh rate of my screen is now a lot less. This is the only trade-off.

If I decide that the higher refresh rate is more important than the 1600x1200 refresh rate and go back to 1280x1024, I would like my fonts to stay the same. Does anyone know a way to do this? I don't
want to manually change the order of all my fonts available to xfs or change any individual application but rather configure X and be done. Is this possible?

I won't get used to the combination of the two words: Linux and automagically, I promise. But being rather new to the system, I have a lot to learn, install and configure. Working on fonts is just not sexy enough
for me ;).

Bob