O.T. Need help in merging databases; postgresql

I am so NEW to sql that I do not even know what questions to ask. I will
tell you what I am trying to do in the best way I know.
a. OS is Debian Linux Woody
b. Postgresql is 7.2.1
c. I have phppgadmin and webmin installed
d. I do not know diddley about SQL but I am learning.
e. I need to get up to speed with this ASAP so I am seeking help.
f. Recommendations about docs, manuals, tutorials, tips, & tricks are
appreciated.

The Problem;
I have merged the tables from 3 different databases into one by building
them by hand.
I have 3 different applications all accessing this database  and all are
working properly. There are tables within the database that are similar
and in fact have fields that contain basically the same info. They all
have different names. The names can not be altered and the properties of
the tables & fields can not be diminished. I want to be able to do these
things:
1. Update the various applications software without having to rebuild
the basic structure of the database. This seems to be doable as long as
I leave the necessary tables and fields alone. So no problem there.
2. Update the database info from any of the applications in a fashion
that update all of the fields in all of the tables where the info is the
same.

ex:

datasetdb
	table1  	table2 		table3
		name		user		member
		addr1		st.		address
		addr2		apt#		box#
		addr3		city		city
		addr4		st.		state

Notice the info is basically the same but is input from each different
application. I want to be able to update and use the data from any
application but only have to enter it one time from any application.
Please keep in mind that I can not change the table names or structures,
I can only add to the database or in some fashion link the fields. I
have done stuff like this in spread sheets, so I am fairly sure it can
be done in sql. Any suggestions are appreciated.

--
John Foster