Re: rpm: can it comply debian policy?

On Saturday 25 May 2002 05:52 am, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 04:46:37PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
[snip]

> > You are probably not seeing it before because many rpms are build as
> > root and so the rpm2cpio shows the file as root.  But since many build
> > rpms as a non-root user most contributed rpms such as the ones that I
> > build are built by a non-root user and the cpio files inside are not
> > root owned.
>
> That sounds mostly like a bug in the .rpm packages to me. Avoiding this
> is exactly why all Debian packages are built with either real root or
> fakeroot; in fact, I think it's why fakeroot was written in the first
> place.

too true. from the fakeroot man page:

              fakeroot was specifically written to enable  users  to  create
              Debian  GNU/Linux packages (in the deb(5) format) without giv­
              ing them root privileges.  This can be done by  commands  like
              dpkg-buildpackage  -rfakeroot or debuild -rfakeroot (actually,
              -rfakeroot is default in debuild nowadays, so you  don't  need
              that argument).

ben