Re: rpm: can it comply debian policy?

> > > This is why alien prints warning messages if you run it as a non-root
> > > user. If you want owners to be preserved, use root or fakeroot.
> >
> > Negative.  The above is true even if you run alien as root.

> That sounds mostly like a bug in the .rpm packages to me. Avoiding this
> is exactly why all Debian packages are built with either real root or
> fakeroot; in fact, I think it's why fakeroot was written in the first
> place.

Why do you think it is an rpm bug?  I don't follow that.  The rpm
works consistently within the rpm system as it was designed to do.
Therefore it is not a bug in rpm.  It is alien that claims to know how
to convert between those file formats.  If it doesn't then it can only
be alien that is held accountable for it.  It looks like an incomplete
conversion process in alien to me.

But alien right up front warns that it may not be completely
functional and should be considered experimental so I won't call it an
alien bug so much as a current limitation.  As long as I know about it
I can work with it I just need to be aware of it.  And I am happy to
have alien since it does handle many of the odd cases that I have
needed it for.  It just is not perfect, sorry, but neither did it
claim to be.

Bob